New Years Walk

Well, for most people the new year starts with a big hangover: First day, and already down on your knees. I swore to myself, not this time and hopefully never again. So I stayed at home and sober, for the first time since I entered drinking age. On the first day of 2019, I got up in the morning and headed out in a nearly empty Vienna: Just some tourists and a few poor souls on their way home, still left from the night before, populated the subway. My goal was the Wien-River, direction out of town.

Corner Tower of the Wien-River-Regulation-Damn
The first Landmark on the trip was the corner tower of a regulation damn. The whole thing was built in the 1895-1899, the graffiti on it looked pretty new and nothing out of the ordinary. One thought shot in my head: I want to get up there. Walk along the path on top of the damn. But it didn't seem like a legal thing to do.

The view had something
For a long time the concrete path just went on: The scenery was like on the picture above. The way flat and easy to walk, so time to let your thoughts fly. And make one step after another. Drift of to somewhere else and enjoy yourself. And the landscape too.

The second damn, blocking the way
After a while strolling at the bottom of the riverbed a damn blocked the path. Not the end of the journey, but nice to look at and for sure a change in the scenery. After climbing the four, maybe five meters in high difference, the path went on and changed from concrete to gravel. Much nicer to walk over.
Shortly before and after my turning point

After the damn, the river just went on and on and on. Some ducks crossed my way, a few herons flew around or waited on stone for a fish to pass by and lots of black-headed gulls were around spending the winter in the warm an mild climate. Would be nice to present some pictures of them all, but my camera equipment hasn't got enough power to capture fast moving animals in under everything else than perfect lightening conditions.

Well, at some point nature was pushed away by concrete
On my way back nature changed into civilization, trees and bushes were replaced by concrete pillars with the occasional graffiti on it. Different, but still quite impressive the whole thing. And more people showed up. Not that it all got crowded, not an that day...

Last picture
On the last picture above my goal is already passing by: The subway. After passing a few hundred meter I entered a train that brought me back home.
In the end, despite the not very nice weather it was a nice way to start a new year. And well, maybe I am going to write more stories like this one. Not quite sure about that at the moment. So leave a like, or follow myself on one of my social network channels if you want to get noticed. Links are somewhere on this page.